xf86-input-synaptics

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu May 5 17:06:41 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 09:16:38AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 09:35:52AM +0200, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> > I've two questions concerning synaptic:
> >
> > 1.) I've one of those snyaptics driven HP "Clickpads" (HP Touchsmart
> > tm2) and it has a little LED on it, which is supposed to be lit when the
> > TP is off, but it doesn't when I turn the TP off with synclient. Why, or
> > how do I fix that?
>
> not yet. clickpad patches were floating around at some point but IIRC the
> last round of them had a few outstanding review comments.

I have a working clickpad tree that I will be pushing for review soon,
but I don't have any HP laptops, or any of the ones with LEDs.

> > 2.) Would you consider including an option which turns the touchpad off
> > on keyboard (or other) input into the driver - so that ones doesnt
> > requie a helper program for that?
>
> no, the driver doesn't know when keyboard input is made. and given that any
> such option will soon want about 15 configuration options, it's better to
> keep it in a client program.

Eh, it's actually easily doable; just have a per-device property for the
time in millis to ignore all input for after a keyboard event, and do it
all in DIX if that property is ever set on a device.

That way you can still have the clients in control, but you don't have
to rely on an external daemon constantly enabling and disabling your
touchpad.

Cheers,
Daniel