RandR 1.4 restart

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Fri Mar 4 15:11:07 PST 2011

On Thursday 03 March 2011 4:14:04 pm Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> writes:
> >> With a scheme like this, the Composite extension itself would become
> >> simply a way to support legacy applications since window redirection
> >> doesn't really mean anything for InputOnly windows.
> >
> > I would love to see the composite extension extended rather than
> > replaced.
>
> What I meant by "simply a way to support legacy applications" was just
> that with the scheme described, if all applications were to magically be
> ported over to the new way, there wouldn't be any need for Composite at
> all, because there simply wouldn't be any InputOutput windows to
> redirect.
>
> > I think the API changes needed to implement the basics of this would
> > be pretty minimal.
>
> I believe the only new feature needed in the X server is a
> client-visible refcount on Pictures, and this is only so that the
> compositing manager can keep the pictures in the update requests around
> without copying them.

Interesting.  I'm not really sold on the switch to InputOnly windows though.
It sounds very elegant in theory, but I don't like the idea of apps needing to
use a separate codepath depending on whether a composite manager is running,
and I'm not convinced it doesn't have other side effects.  I'll definitely
have to give it some more thought though.

Thanks,
-James