RandR 1.4 restart

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at cs.au.dk
Thu Mar 3 16:14:04 PST 2011

James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> writes:

>> With a scheme like this, the Composite extension itself would become
>> simply a way to support legacy applications since window redirection
>> doesn't really mean anything for InputOnly windows.
>
> I would love to see the composite extension extended rather than
> replaced.

What I meant by "simply a way to support legacy applications" was just
that with the scheme described, if all applications were to magically be
ported over to the new way, there wouldn't be any need for Composite at
all, because there simply wouldn't be any InputOutput windows to
redirect.

> I think the API changes needed to implement the basics of this would
> be pretty minimal.

I believe the only new feature needed in the X server is a
client-visible refcount on Pictures, and this is only so that the
compositing manager can keep the pictures in the update requests around
without copying them.

Soren