RandR 1.4 restart

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Tue Mar 1 18:47:51 PST 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 18:35:14 Keith Packard wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:11:24 -0800, James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > Also, getting the unredirect/redirect to work without causing a bunch of
> > expose events and related flickering is hard.  It's possible now in most
> > cases with Ville's patches to avoid the extra mapping in composite, but
> > I'm still not convinced it works in the general case.
>
> I think we want to solve that in Composite, not RandR though, right?

I just mention it as a reminder that it can't be taken for granted that
composite managers are actually unredirecting fullscreen windows right now.

In general, I think most of what Soeren talks about should be handled within
the composite framework, but the distinction between randr crtc pixmaps and
composite backing pixmaps is getting thin enough that both should be kept in
mind when working on either of the two.

Thanks,
-James