X server not responding when querying X pointer position

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Fri Jul 8 03:51:19 PDT 2011

* Thierry Reding wrote:
> * Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > I try to keep the number of threads used to a minimum, but since WebKit is
> > > involved and the program also uses libvlc as well, several threads will be in
> > > use.
> >
> > Heh, threads are always problematic.  Are you calling XInitThreads()
> > before your first call to XOpenDisplay()?
>
> Actually I was just using Gtk+, without any explicit calls to the X
> libraries. But grep'ing through the Gtk+ sources yields no matches for
> XInitThreads(). I'll try adding it manually.

Calling XInitThreads() explicitly does indeed seem to solve the problem. I've
been doing some more monkey-testing and wasn't able to reproduce this
particular problem.

Still, in my opinion this should be something for Gtk+ to take care of. Would
you agree that this should be filed as a bug report against Gtk+?

Thanks for your help,
Thierry