X server not responding when querying X pointer position

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Jul 7 03:08:34 PDT 2011

* Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:46:43AM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > * Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > The two most pertinent questions I can think of are:
> > >     * are you using threads at all?
> >
> > I try to keep the number of threads used to a minimum, but since WebKit is
> > involved and the program also uses libvlc as well, several threads will be in
> > use.
>
> Heh, threads are always problematic.  Are you calling XInitThreads()
> before your first call to XOpenDisplay()?

Actually I was just using Gtk+, without any explicit calls to the X
libraries. But grep'ing through the Gtk+ sources yields no matches for
XInitThreads(). I'll try adding it manually.

> Does an all-threads backtrace from shortly before or during this deadlock
> show any other Xlib activity from other threads?

I still need to figure out how exactly to do this, gdb keeps complaining that
it can't find libthread_db. I can provide traces once I get this to work,
though.

Thierry