Slightly OT Question

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 9 02:53:32 PST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 02:04:11PM -0800, Rick Stockton wrote:
> I was wondering about an idea- and rather than stumble around (for
> weeks) on my own, I want to ask you WAY SMARTER guys about it:
>
> As you already know, I'm planning to bring some decent support for
> additional mouse buttons into Qt (things which GTK2 already has).
> For many, many years, the too-narrow button State mask has been
> biting us all in the ass, but BC compatibility makes it tough to
> provide much info about the state of higher-numbered buttons.
>
> Here's the idea, which may be totally lame- and if so, I'd LOVE to
> be taught why (without taking a great deal of your valuable time):
> Upon entry to a Qt-managed Window, could I use a
> XGetDeviceButtonMapping() library call to get this information into
> a 32-bit-wide "state" of my own?

Even better than that, you could port Qt to Xi2.  Xi2 has a much more
rich state (including all buttons, keys, etc) which is provided in its
Enter/Leave/input events.  I'm pretty sure there's an Xi2 port floating
around in one of the billion Qt Gitorious repos, as part of the
multitouch work.

> I saw a bit of coaching (in Vol 25, issue 37) by Daniel, which
> implied that event versus request State made this impossible.

Actually, that's mainly for keyboard modifiers, so you're OK there.

Cheers,
Daniel