Slightly OT Question

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Tue Feb 8 14:04:11 PST 2011

I was wondering about an idea- and rather than stumble around (for
weeks) on my own, I want to ask you WAY SMARTER guys about it:

As you already know, I'm planning to bring some decent support for
additional mouse buttons into Qt (things which GTK2 already has). For
many, many years, the too-narrow button State mask has been biting us
all in the ass, but BC compatibility makes it tough to provide much info
about the state of higher-numbered buttons.

Here's the idea, which may be totally lame- and if so, I'd LOVE to be
taught why (without taking a great deal of your valuable time): Upon
entry to a Qt-managed Window, could I use a XGetDeviceButtonMapping()
library call to get this information into a 32-bit-wide "state" of my own?

I saw a bit of coaching (in Vol 25, issue 37) by Daniel, which implied
that event versus request State made this impossible. But, being dumber
than a brick, could you give me a additional words about that problem?
Or, if it ISN'T insurmountable -- Carlos, would you like to work with me
on keeping GTK in parallel with Qt on such an enhancement?

If I should be told to STFU and go away, please do so: without
gentleness, I can take it. :)) In either case, my thanks!