removing PCI dependency from xserver

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 1 09:17:58 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 18:00 +0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:

> Please, I need feedback here to keep with this work. Mark, do you have
> some
> suggestions how to proceed? Once I've done with 1. and .2 I can roll
> my
> bus-cleanup-take3 tree [2] again and conditionalize libpciaccess from
> the
> server.

If you do succeed in making libpciaccess conditional, you should review
the configuration
of all 55 drivers listed in util/modular/build.sh. Some assume
libpciaccess is always available,
others treat it as optional as it may have been so in the past. Many
drivers build the lastest
versions with older servers.

In xorg-server.pc, libpciaccess is part of the server public interface:

        Requires: pixman-1 pciaccess

        $ pkg-config --print-errors --libs xorg-server:
        -L/home/nadon/xorg/src/lib -lpixman-1 -lpciaccess

The impact of a change in this area should be reviewed.

Gaetan