[ANNOUNCE] libXcomposite 0.4.3

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Oct 28 10:58:01 PDT 2010

Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, this generation step from DocBook XML is really not
> worth the pain for such small man pages, considering  all the complexity
> to be added in the makefile to stuff generated man pages in the tarball
> for platforms who don't have xmnlto. I had to say it :-)

Some things we only learn by trying the experiment and seeing what works
or doesn't.   If the cost of xml man pages is too high, then I can live
with permanently converting them for things like this, but when we can
end up sharing the text between specs & man pages, then I'd prefer that,
even at the slight tools cost, vs. having to maintain two copies.

For instance, since the libSM spec has chapters that are basically
man page style synopis/parameter list/description of each function,
those could be put into .xml files that are used to generate man pages
(which libSM currently doesn't have) and included into the generation
of the spec.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com