[ANNOUNCE] libXcomposite 0.4.3

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Thu Oct 28 10:23:56 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 23:27 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> It looks like libXcomposite doesn't have a --disable-docs,
> --disable-specs, nor --disable-docs-devel, but it does have
> --without-fop ...

I don't see a --without-fop configuration option. It goes from XML to
man, no html, pdf, ps or txt format.

> Is there a reason why the docs/specs/docs-devel option is missing even
> though fop is there?  I was under the impression that the tool options
> were extra knobs to turn that only mattered if docs/specs/docs-devel
> were enabled.

libXcomposite does not have any general documentation, functional specs
or developer's documentation. It has man pages where the input format is
DocBook XML and therefore uses xmlto. One can use --without-xmlto to
disable the generation of man pages.

The are 3 modules in that situation as described in
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/WritingDocumentation.
The classification of DOCS/SPECS/DEVEL-DOCS applies irrespective of the
tooling used. This allows a builder to turn off, for example, the specs
without having to chase down which tool generates them, as there could
be many. In contrast, without-xmlto will turn off xmlto, regardless of
which type of documentation it is building. This is useful for a builder
who knows there are issues with the installed version of that tool, for
example.

The one classification that is missing is MANPAGES, as there were never
a way to not build them. If there is a requirement to not build all the
man pages, it can be done. If the issue is simply related to a tool,
then the option for the specific tool should be used.

In libXcomposite, the only available option is without-xmlto to turn off
the generation of man pages from DocBook XML.

Slightly off-topic, this generation step from DocBook XML is really not
worth the pain for such small man pages, considering  all the complexity
to be added in the makefile to stuff generated man pages in the tarball
for platforms who don't have xmnlto. I had to say it :-)