ABI questions

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Oct 19 10:52:18 PDT 2010

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:18:50 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> Grepping through the code there are many instances throughout driver/*
>> where the version of the XINPUT ABI is checked. But there aren't any
>> instances of any code checking the version of the EXTENSION ABI.
>> Shouldn't there be lots of such checks throughout the extension
>> libraries? Especially the older ones?
>>
> The extension modules shipped by xorg are all within the server tree, so
> there's nowhere to put these checks...

The only out-of-tree open source extension module I'm aware of is the
VNC module from TigerVNC/RealVNC/etc.   I suspect the primary users of
that ABI check are the closed driver OpenGL extension modules though.

(We do ship a couple extra open source extension modules in
 Solaris/OpenSolaris, but we build those in tree, and always ship coupled
 with the X server package, and don't support any other ABI version, so
 have no checks.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com