ABI questions

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Tue Oct 19 09:04:51 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:18:50 -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:

> Thanks so much, Peter, for taking the time to reply. The following is
> what I've tried to understand from poking around. I'd appreciate any
> clarifications if I'm off-track:
>
> From what I can tell, there are 5 ABI's which are important to the
> code, which are found in xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Module.h:
> - ABI_CLASS_ANSIC
> - ..._VIDEODRV
> - ..._XINPUT
> - ..._EXTENSION
> - ..._FONT
>
> From the poking around I've done, the ABI_CLASS_XINPUT ABI appears to
> be defined in the file xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Xinput.h, but is
> that the only place it's defined? Is there a list somewhere saying:
> "here are the files/functions/identifiers which define ABI X"? If not,
> would that be useful?

It's not the only place it's defined.  The input ABI is basically
'whatever is exported by the server and used by at least one input
driver', AFAIK.

There's http://www.x.org/wiki/XorgModuleABIVersions

> Grepping through the code there are many instances throughout driver/*
> where the version of the XINPUT ABI is checked. But there aren't any
> instances of any code checking the version of the EXTENSION ABI.
> Shouldn't there be lots of such checks throughout the extension
> libraries? Especially the older ones?

The extension modules shipped by xorg are all within the server tree, so
there's nowhere to put these checks...

Cheers,
Julien