xf86-video-geode build error running jhbuild

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat May 29 07:14:21 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 15:26 +0200, Dirk Wallenstein wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 08:47:04AM -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> >
> >    Geode is hardware specific. It does not build on AMD64, 32 bit only.
> >    Look at util/modular/build.sh to find out about platform restrictions.
> >    I haven't look at jhbuild yet, but I don't think it handles platform
> >    filtering. Does this mean you need to maintain one module set for every
> >    permutation of host/cpu?
>
> I think it would be possible to introduce another <autotools> attribute
> that specifies a filename to execute, and the retval says if it is
> eligible. Then it might be possible that those modules don't appear in
> the modules list at all.
> The autotools attribute would ensure that that file to execute is a
> tracked file and not one accidentally put there.
>
> I think the possibility to enable/disable a module depending on external
> conditions is generally appealing.
>
> That would of course require such a file in the modules that don't build
> everywhere.

I had similar thoughts. A simple text file would do, listing allowed and
forbidden host/cpu, as a naive implementation. Perhaps an xml file could
reduce coding effort to read it. Using data encapsulation as a guiding
principle, a module should know where it can or cannot be built.
Currently the information is in the build scripts, so it needs to be
duplicated and maintained in multiple build systems.