xserver devel process

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Tue Jun 15 23:50:20 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 04:07:21PM -0700, Deen Sethanandha wrote:
>    Thank you very much for the responses.  I get a lot of useful
>    information.
>
>    Added two sentences to the
>    [1]http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches ab
>    out [2]x.org patchwork.  Should I add more content to let contributor
>    know that they should update the status of patch?  I do agree that this
>    should be done automatically is possible.  I will look into it.  I do
>    have a few questions about how to map between patch and commit.
>
>    Is there a keyword that can uniquely identify that a patch is applied
>    to the master?  I looked at the xorg-commit and try to search for the
>    patch.  It looks like the subject of the patch email can be used as
>    search keyword.  My concerns is that it might not be unique.  I notice
>    that commit has the SHA code but it is not in the patch.

git-cherry [1] and git-patch-id [2] can help here. However, patches
are sometimes applied with small changes, without going through the
mailing list. Maybe fall back to a subject and similarity test?

>    There are 2 alternatives to automatically change patch status.
>    1) Verify patch against master repositories under [3]x.org.  This mean
>    patchwork has to check every repositories for new commits. Does python
>    have api that can be used to communicate with git repository?

GitPython can do that [3]

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cherry.html
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-patch-id.html
[3] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/GitPython