xserver devel process

Deen Sethanandha deenseth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:07:21 PDT 2010

Thank you very much for the responses.  I get a lot of useful information.

Added two sentences to the
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches about
x.org patchwork.  Should I add more content to let contributor know that
they should update the status of patch?  I do agree that this should be done
automatically is possible.  I will look into it.  I do have a few questions
about how to map between patch and commit.

Is there a keyword that can uniquely identify that a patch is applied to the
master?  I looked at the xorg-commit and try to search for the patch.  It
looks like the subject of the patch email can be used as search keyword.  My
concerns is that it might not be unique.  I notice that commit has the SHA
code but it is not in the patch.

There are 2 alternatives to automatically change patch status.

1) Verify patch against master repositories under x.org.  This mean
patchwork has to check every repositories for new commits. Does python have
api that can be used to communicate with git repository?

2) Verify patch against the commit mailing list.  This mailing list is an
aggregation of commits from every x.org git repositories.  This alternative
is simpler but it is specific to projects that has commit mailing list.

Thanks!
-- Deen