TLS autodetection support in the X server

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Dec 22 14:42:02 PST 2010

On 12/22/10 02:30 PM, tom fogal wrote:
> I'm not really sure about any policy of adding a macro and requiring
> it in another package; I had to bump the version number so that the X
> server could be sure the macro exists.  Not sure if that's the correct
> thing to do.  Please educate me.

That is what we do when we add new macros to xorg-macros, but....

> +# ===========================================================================
> +#             http://www.nongnu.org/autoconf-archive/ax_tls.html
> +# ===========================================================================
> +#
> +# SYNOPSIS
> +#
> +#   XORG_TLS (renamed from AX_TLS)

We generally don't copy macros from the autoconf-archive into xorg-macros,
we just use them as is - adding *.m4 files to packages that need them
(especially when it's just one or two packages, not most of X.Org's 200+
packages).  See for instance, xserver/m4/ac_define_dir.m4
Is there any reason not to do that here?   Why should we add multiple levels
of indirection to keep in sync?

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com