TLS autodetection support in the X server

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Wed Dec 22 14:30:48 PST 2010

Attached are two patches, one for util/macros and the second for
xorg/xserver, which are aimed at getting --enable/--disable-glx-tls to
be identified automatically, instead of defaulting to disabled.  Lack
of TLS leads to non-PIC code, which is particularly annoying in an
SELinux environment.

See:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org/msg04310.html
  http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-November/003411.html
  http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org/msg04289.html

for a little more background.

I'm not really sure about any policy of adding a macro and requiring
it in another package; I had to bump the version number so that the X
server could be sure the macro exists.  Not sure if that's the correct
thing to do.  Please educate me.

PLEASE NOTE: that the XORG_TLS macro is derived from a macro I got from
the autoconf macro archive, which is GPLd.  The output (configure) has
no restrictions, and I hear this is okay at least for Mesa [1], but
it's definitely worth noting.

-tom

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa3d-dev@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12457.html