bitmaps: Changes to 'refs/tags/xbitmaps-1.1.1'

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Dec 9 07:45:37 PST 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 23:15, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> This release still has the file collision with bitmap that I mentioned a while ago.
>
> Sorry, I didn't remember anything about that - but this collision must have
> existed since X11R6.0 or so - these aren't new files.

Yeah, it's nothing new.  But it's one of the few remaining patches we need to build all x.org bits.

>> Stipple is installed by bitmap
>> stipple is installed by xbitmaps
>>
>> How are we going to resolve that?
>
> Tell users with case-insenstive filesystems to use a better bitmap editor than
> bitmap?
>
> If one has to change, the one in app/bitmap used by exactly one app seems less
> likely to have unexpected side-effects in other apps.

Yeah, that's what Gaetan suggested, too.  Your release of xbitmaps yesterday just reminded me that it didn't get resolved yet.

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-October/014756.html

Is there any reason why we can't rename the bitmaps provided by bitmap to by "namespaced" (bitmap-Stipple, etc), or should we just move all the bitmaps from bitmap into xbitmaps (stipple and Stipple are different)?