[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 28 09:51:02 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Rémi Cardona's message of Wed Oct 28 08:48:21 -0700 2009:

> However, if we really want to avoid this mess again, we should
> definitely get server-side xcb done sooner than later. This way, the
> server would be fully independent of the old libs and protos.

The benefit of using xcb is mostly that it includes all of the
protocol definitions in a single module. Merging the existing proto
packages seems like it would have the same effect. Not that changing
the server to use the xcb definitions would be bad thing.

> libdrm isn't too much of a problem distribution-wise since only the
> server and mesa use it. And since we tend to keep mesa and the server in
> sync, adding libdrm to the list isn't that much more work.

The issue at hand here is making it easier for users to test new bits
without waiting for distributions to package them; the more external
dependencies present, the harder it is to build new bits.

keith.packard at intel.com