[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 28 08:48:21 PDT 2009

Le 28/10/2009 16:38, Keith Packard a écrit :
> For protocol headers, it seems like with the recent re-work, we should
> be at the point where newer headers should remain compatible with old
> versions of the server, which at least allows you to always use the
> newest headers without fear.

IIRC, not all headers were fixed by Peter's work. So, unless we decide
to let them be, there's still a risk of header movement.

> Should we consider combining all of the protocol headers into a single
> module as well?

Please no, that won't help at all. The current split protos are fine
from a packaging PoV. It's what's inside each header that can cause
problems.

However, if we really want to avoid this mess again, we should
definitely get server-side xcb done sooner than later. This way, the
server would be fully independent of the old libs and protos.

If xcb is to be the future of X library-wise, we should definitely make
it a priority for the server.

> Libdrm is more of an issue as it often changes in sync with Mesa and
> driver updates. I don't have a great plan here, aside from the
> suggestion that we fix the X server to make building a subset of the
> drivers easy so that users wouldn't be affected by libdrm changes for
> chips they don't use.

libdrm isn't too much of a problem distribution-wise since only the
server and mesa use it. And since we tend to keep mesa and the server in
sync, adding libdrm to the list isn't that much more work.

Cheers,

Rémi