Splitting hardware access out of xserver (in/out, int10, xf86emu)

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 27 08:56:14 PDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:59:38 -0400
> From: Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com>
>
> rnoland and I discussing on IRC how to clean the in/out
> functions/macros/disasters. He suggested moving them to libpciaccess
> or drm. Similarly, it seems to me that x86emu and int10 could be split
> into separate libraries external of the X server.

I don't think the in/out stuff should be moved into drm since I'm
fairly sure that these functions are used on platforms without drm
support.

libpciaccess might be a more appropriate place, although in/out are
really legacy ISA interfaces and therefore could be needed on machines
that don't have a PCI bus.

That said, the way in/out are used in the xserver and associated (PCI)
drivers is really bogus.  Their usage should be replaced by a
mechanism similar to how memory mapped io is handled.  PCI drivers
should really use pci_device_map_range() to "map" io space just like
mmio space such that they can work on architectures that have multiple
PCI domains.