Splitting hardware access out of xserver (in/out, int10, xf86emu)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Oct 22 23:05:15 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Matt Turner's message of Fri Oct 23 04:59:38 +0900 2009:
> rnoland and I discussing on IRC how to clean the in/out
> functions/macros/disasters. He suggested moving them to libpciaccess
> or drm. Similarly, it seems to me that x86emu and int10 could be split
> into separate libraries external of the X server.

Matthew Garrett has created an external libx86 project that does both
x86emu and vm86 stuff, but still needs work on some system I/O stuff
and a few other hooks to make it a credible replacement.

> Would this conflict with moving the drivers back into the xserver?

Not at all -- we can continue to have external requirements for some
drivers, the key is to incorporate drivers and server together so we
can ensure consistent and compatible development between drivers and
the core server.

keith.packard at intel.com