Nomination branch policy clarification

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Oct 5 17:10:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:52:26PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:15 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
> > From the discussions, I assume this is the ideal path a patch should
> > take to get into a 1.7.x release:
> >
> > commit to feature branch "apple"
> > merge "apple" to "master"
> > cherry pick fix from master into server-1.7-nominations branch
> > merge server-1.7-nominations branch into server-1.7-branch
>
> My mental model was more like:
>
> commit to apple (tracks master)
> cherry-pick to apple-1.7 (tracks xserver-1.7-branch)
>
> And then the treemeisters for master and xserver-1.7 would merge from
> those.  Does require a little more diligence from the stable branch
> maintainers to not merge things not already in master.

yeah, something like that is what I'm thinking too.
Generally, I'd prefer if the patches land on master before 1.7. This isn't
always possible or necessary (for 1.7-only patches for example).

So the two options you have:
- get them on master by asking keith to pull from your -apple branch and
  then cherry-pick over to the nominations.
- ask me to pull from the apple-1.7 branch into 1.7 nominations.

Either way is fine with me, though I'd prefer the former.

Cheers,
  Peter