GSoC project : multi-touch

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Mar 31 16:46:43 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:24:55AM +0200, Detlev Casanova wrote:
> About the multitouch GSoC project, I was wondering about some things :
>   * would the project be about writing a new driver for multitouch touchpad,
> for multitouch tablets and also multitouch tables (working with a video
> camera) ?

such a project should look at providing multitouch independent of hardware
support. so writing a driver is probably included to test the code, but how
the actual hardware works (video camera or resistive or ...) doesn't matter.

>  * is there already an API for this ? I mean, has it already been thought on
> how it should be designed ? XInput seems to have ways to do that (events can
> contain data and multiple information)

no, there is no API. that's the tricky bit.

>  * I now I'm a bit late but is there a mentor available for that project and
> would he/she mind talking about the project ?

I've got a proposal for MT support by Ashish Kumar Rai in front of me and I
guess we'll beat it into shape until it's realizable. I don't know if GSoC
supports collaborative projects, but that might be worth investigating if you
want to work on this.

> Also, there are some howto's and other pages about XInput on the x.org wiki
> but I never see anything about XI2, so, are those for XI1 or XI2 ?

There are no howtos on XI2 yet because it's still in motion.

Cheers,
  Peter