Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 19:16:31 PDT 2009

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>:
>
>> And how does this at all justify thrusting a huge unneeded change on the
>> overall Linux community?  In over thirty years of working with *nix systems,
>> never once has a user complained that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace has caused them any
>> problems.  It's one thing to make a change in response to a documented need,
>> and it's quite another to let some minority group dictate a change that
>> causes a huge change for the overall majority.  This change is just wrong.
>> It cannot be justified.  I see nothing anywhere on the internet or in the
>> threads calling for such a change.  And if it was a true problem you would
>> find references to it.
>>

> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-September/038786.html
>
> --
> Dan

Just to address a few comments made in this thread:

"Data loss is always unacceptable and Xorg should do whatever it takes
to prevent it."
This is a very flawed view.  Data loss is nearly 99.9% of the time a
result of user error and insufficient user training.  It is not the
responsibility of Xorg to play Nanny.  It's the responsibility of the
user and the users employer to provide the correct training.

And this reply was right on target:

Pushing the reset button or pulling the cable from the wall also
causes data loss, but you don't see flip covers protecting the reset
buttons nor are the power cables welded into the wall at one end and
the unit at the other. Unfortunately, there's no cure for human
stupidity ;-) -Igor

And this reply:
Seems like it's a problem with emacs. Sure glad I use vi. :3
Seriously, no. Zap once, learn forever.

And all the votes in the thread were "NO" for changing the behavior.
Only the poller favored making any change.  So why did all these "NO"'s
end up as a change in default behavior?

Regards,
Gerry