implement egl for X

Richard Zhao linuxzsc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 23:05:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm working on egl for x implementation for OpenglES/VG. X server is
running on fbdev with FBIOPAN_DISPLAY ability. Could you help me about
the tech questions?

I get a pixel buffer after GPU rendering. I'm now looking for some
method to blit the bufer to X window.
I get some solutions:

1.  Using DGA
Does Do applications using DGA have to be fullscreen? Because everyone
can do XDGASetViewport.
I'm not sure I can avoid the panning problem.

2. write a DRI driver that co-operate with DDX
About the DRI/GLx things, I'm a little confused. Maybe it's wrong.

I find some have wrote egl-to-glx adapter code. but I don't think it
suit our case. We don't have DRI driver, how could we use glx?

DDX can operate with DRI. So If I write a DRI driver, DDX may help
blit our pixel buffer to fbdev.  It's not for using glx.

3. Use XPutImage to blit

Easy to implement, but slow.

4. blit to fbdev directly.

Because X is using fb paning (FBIOPAN_DISPLAY), it's hard to sync with X.

Do you have any better idea?

Thanks
Richard