[RFC/PATCH] Report relative screen positions as the root window origins

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jun 12 17:53:35 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 13:18 -0700, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> This allows X configurator programs to determine where the screens are so that
> they can create a reasonably similar layout.
>
> I'm a little concerned that this might break some app, but so far I haven't
> found any.

The server uses pWin->origin to compute screen coordinates from window
coordinates. Use of this for the root window is fairly limited, but not
non-existent.

I like the idea of reporting the global system geometry to clients
though; perhaps just an XFixes extension request that returns the whole
array? Less stylish, but also respects the current semantics.

keith.packard at intel.com