Janitor/RFC: Xorg packages

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Fri Feb 6 13:22:06 PST 2009

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
> <pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
>>  Some points that could be made better:
>>
>> 1. Get rid of configure options that should not be used,
>>   and are only useful for make distcheck. I think it
>>   may be one case where AC_SUBST() can have an
>>   important role in the proper solution?
>
> I think you're still missing the reason why it has to be done this
> way. We need to ensure that we are only overriding the option for
> distcheck. The only reliable thing automake gives us for this
> situation is DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS. If we make guesses in
> configure about what the situation is, we'll probably get it wrong. If
> you don't want to expose the configure option to the user, just don't
> add any help text to it.

  I just dislike when things start to become somewhat "obfuscated".
Too bad we cannot "hardcode" directories, otherwise, it would be
enough to say:
sdkdir=${includedir}/xorg
AC_SUBST([sdkdir])

  Or maybe we can? It is very unlikely one will want to change
the "xorg" suffix, but would still be possible to set includedir,
and keep configure.ac/etc clean.

  The same would be true for moduledir; remove all the
--with-xorg-module-dir=<pathname>, and just say:
moduledir="${libdir}/xorg/modules
AC_SUBST([moduledir])

this one has even more appeal to it, as I believe "no package" is
using "pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server", but just in
case, it is defined in as ${exec_prefix}/lib/xorg/modules in
xorg-server.pc. And support for different/multiple module path
requires some magic, either xorg.conf or the -modulepath command
line option if getuid() == 0.

> If you can think of another way, let me know. I haven't found one.

Paulo