X Org server 1.7.99.2 is faulty

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Wed Dec 30 10:52:43 PST 2009

The version in MacPorts is just 1.7.99.2 without any MP/Apple specific patches (since these have been going into master with fairly low latency).  My changes between 1.7.99.1 and 1.7.99.2(*) were mostly janitorial and didn't touch on the code-path where you're seeing a problem.

It may be some of the EXA related work.  Maybe Michael or Maarten might have an idea where to look.  That being said, it might be more worthwhile to just find the commit that introduced the bug using git-bisect.

# Checkout xserver from git:
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver
cd xserver

# Start bisecting the build:
# git bisect start <bad> <good>
git bisect start 3c30c5b6d321f34736c442c9cd982308d9b8b93a 9c48862ac1ac119b6cfb7e376533f53af6a857f4

# Then you just test it and then run either:
git bisect good
# or
git bisect bad
# depending on whether that checkout has the bug or not.

# To test each version, you'll want to just build it over your MacPorts:
export CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include -I/path/to/macports/dports/x11/xorg-server-devel/files/dri
export PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/local --with-apple-applications-dir=/Applications/MacPorts --with-fontdir=/opt/local/share/fonts --with-launchd-id-prefix=org.macports --without-dtrace
make clean && make && sudo make install

# This will do a binary search to hone in on the change that introduced the problem.

*:
Jeremy Huddleston (17):
     XQuartz: Run xmodmap after programatically updating the keymap.
     dix: Properly detect if the other device is frozen
     XQuartz: Controller thread launches clients
     XQuartz: Don't weed out duplicates in generated keymap
     XQuartz: Use dixLookupResourceByType instead of LookupIDByType
     XQuartz: Cleanup X11Controller.m compilation warnings.
     SHA1: Add support for Common Crypto
     configure.ac: Notify user about which SHA1 implementation is being used
     XQuartz: Buildfix for Leopard and older
     XQuartz: pbproxy: Wait for the server to finish starting up, so display is valid.
     XQuartz: Explicitly pass a bellProc to make XBell() work again.
     XQuartz: Allow better compatability with older versions of xinit
     XQuartz: Drop calls to alloca
     Miscellaneous compilation warning fixes
     XQuartz: pbproxy: Fix building of standalone xpbproxy executable
     dtrace: Add Xserver-dtrace.h to CLEANFILES
     Xfake: Nuke -Wl,-undefined=InitExtensions from LDFLAGS