X Org server 1.7.99.2 is faulty

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Dec 29 04:57:30 PST 2009

Hello!

I am new to this list and I have a problem with the X Org server
version 1.7.99.2 – which is the name MacPorts gave it in its
(unstable) devel branch. The previous release, 1.7.99.1, was working
OK, the new one came around Christmas.

The faults show up with self-compiled GNU Emacsen 23.1.50 and 23.1.90.
When the tool frames are opened too much on the (preferred, because
brighter) right side of my display (1440 x 900, 32 bit, ATY,RV360M11
on AGP with 64 MB VRAM) text is cut around x-pixel coordinate 800
(graphics, like window decoration or pop-up or pull-down menus or the
cursor or background high-lighting of selected text, are always OK and
fully visible). A refresh of the X client's windows does not change
anything, also close/open. When moving the window towards the left
edge more text becomes visible upon a refresh, but the most right
approximately one inch is cut away and turned invisible. When the tool
frame is opened near the display's left edge, then GNU Emacs 23.1.50
works (almost) OK – except for the last column of text which is
invisible. I can stretch it to span the whole screen and no other or
more text gets swallowed, it's different from the situation when
launched on the right side with its closer barrier. GNU Emacs 23.1.90
still shows this failure clearly at the far right corner of the text
pane: a few mm, a few character columns, stay invisible – and it can
become worse when I move the window and/or change its size and shape.

Both Emacsen show another failure at the bottom, where the echo area/
mini-buffer reside: all text invisible. And this zone stretches under
the completely functional mode-line into the bottom of the lowest
buffer and eat pixel-wise text. When launched on the right side this
phenomenon is clearly restricted to 80 or 90 % of the mini-buffer's
height.

The previous version of the X Org server did not show this behaviour.
Maybe it plays a role that I am working with a PowerPC G4 processor
7447A, only big endian.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.