An idea to get longer battery life in a laptop.

Samuel Löf lofsa at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 10:55:05 PST 2009

Hi everyone, I have an idea for longer battery life in laptops.
I have a laptop with a big 17" widescreen, the screen uses 1680X1050 I guess that the screen consume a large amount of the battery power.
What if one could lower the resulution without filling the whole screen? For exemple  1280X800 with 125 pixel black border up and down, and 200 pixel black border right and left.

If I'm right the screen has orignally 1764000 (1680x1050) active pixels and with the lower resolution 1024000 (1280x800) that is 740000 less active pixels and probaly result in longer battery life. This is probaly not a setting one would like to use all the time but I think it would be a good "emergency mode"

I have no idea if this is possible, is it? Is it a good idea?
Regards Samuel