bitsPerRGBValue == 0??

Timothy Normand Miller theosib at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:52:34 PST 2009

I'm having a problem with 8-bit mode, regarding colormaps.  Here's the
Visual I'm getting:

(gdb) print *pVisual
$6 = {vid = 33, class = 4, bitsPerRGBValue = 0, ColormapEntries = 8,
  nplanes = 8, redMask = 7, greenMask = 56, blueMask = 192, offsetRed = 0,
  offsetGreen = 3, offsetBlue = 6}

This is an 8-bit Truecolor visual.  Is this valid?  And is it valid to
have bitsPerRGBValue=0?  Where does this get set?  I can't figure out
if it's my fault or what.

This is causing me a divide-by-zero crash in some code that's a
hold-over from the xfree86 driver.  Between then and now, what has
changed in the way visuals and colormaps are handled?

But I'm betting I'm just initializing incorrectly.  Are there any good
examples I should look at?

Thanks!

--
Timothy Normand Miller