proto packages release numbers

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Aug 10 21:22:00 PDT 2009

Looking at some protocol packages it seems we're about to have some fun with
version numbering.

The good example is randrproto:
Protocol version 1.3, the package version itself is 1.3.0

The bad example is fixesproto:
Protocol version 4.0, package version is 4.1.0

A few protocol modules are due for a release but the protocol itself hasn't
changed. The changes are mostly cleanups but may break if you dump it in
place of the old versions since some of the requires may have changed.

Which leaves to decide if we want to decouble protocol version numbers from
package version numbers or if we are happy to ship .x releases that break
with previous builds.

Precedence for the decoupling are x11proto and xextproto that ship with
versions of 7.X.Y, decoupled from the actual protocol versions. These are
less confusing though than having package X.Y ship protocol version X.(Y-1).

Any opinions?

Cheers,
  Peter