Event Control Miscellany for an Input Redirection Client

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jan 18 18:54:01 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 17:20 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
> In addition to needing to work out the issues surrounding input
> redirection to an external picking client (sending events to the
> client and back, FixupEventFromWindow changes, and XYToSubWindow)
> there are several miscellaneous changes that I believe we will need to
> make to the X server event pipeline in order for LG to work properly.

Until we have at least two, and preferrably more, advanced event
redirecting applications like LG, I'd like to discourage attempts at
standardization of these kinds of operations. They'd be most welcome to
exist on a branch in public CVS, but we're just not ready to try and
evaluate what the problems are and how best to fix them.

Certainly any such future work would do well to look at how you've
solved the problems, but without a concrete environment to work in, it's
impossible for any of us to seriously expect to discover alternate
mechanisms.

Although, I have to say that standardizing based on one example is way
better than the former X consortium practice of standardizing based on
zero examples...

keith.packard at intel.com