Top-most windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 10 17:08:01 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 09:37 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:

> Another problem with constantly raising the window is that you
> are constantly thrashing doing DID preparation on all of the windows.
> In addition, you've got normal X windows continually popping above
> the compositing window and they will be visible as artifacts.
> The grab/raise/ungrab approach is a complete non-starter.

I would assume that DID preparation would not paint areas represented by
ManualRedirect windows. When I've done this kind of thing in the past,
I've used PaintWindowBackground to indicate DID painting; as
PaintWindowBackground won't get called, there should be no DID painting.

Which leaves us with minimal artifacts when using the simple RaiseWindow
trick, and no additional code needed anywhere.

-keith