Top-most windows

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 11:28:51 PST 2006

Deron Johnson wrote:

>>On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 15:15 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>LG provides it's own window manager. Currently this wm doesn't interfere
>>>in Configure and Circulate requests at all--I'll need to upgrade it to
>>>do this. Is there anything else I need to do beside handling the events
>>>ConfigureRequest and CirculateRequest?
>>>

>>Oh. Wait. This won't work -- there are still menus (and any other
>>override-redirect windows) which are going to get in the way here.
>>
>>We either need a way to create a 'always on top' window, or some other
>>way to avoid having this window ever be clipped by its siblings. Hmm.
>>Always on top is actually fairly easy to do; DIX already supports the
>>screen saver window which does precisely this. Hacking this to support
>>an additional always-on-top application window might be possible. The
>>alternative is to hack Composite so that it computes alternate clip
>>lists for non-clip-by-siblings windows; it's already got hooks in the
>>right places for this, so that might actually be fairly easy.

The right semantics seem to me that manually redirected windows would
not clip
anything. They are not visible on-screen after all.

If that's too hard to implement, then note that a 'topmost' window is
not actually
necessary. The compositing manager only needs the window to be topmost when
it is actually drawing, ie:

    grab_server();
    XRaiseWindow();
    draw_scene();