Input shaping

Paul Anderson pma at anderson.fc.hp.com
Thu Mar 24 14:09:39 PST 2005

> In this thread:
>
>       http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2005-January/005962.html
>
> Keith describes and extension to the Shape extension allowing windows
> to have an "input shape" in addition to the exisiting clip and
> bounding shapes.
>
> The patch attached to that message was committed to Keith's xserver
> tree, but not
> to the xorg tree. At
>
>    http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/input-shape.patch
>
> there is a port of his patch to the xorg tree. The patch is also
> attached to this message.
>
> If this is considered a good idea, I will update the protocol and
> library documentation
> for the shape protocol.
>

> I originally posted about this to the xorg list, and Roland pointed out
> that xorg-arch
> is really the right list to discuss this since it is an API extension.
> He also pointed out that
> the Xnest and Xdmx may need to be updated to be in sync with this change.

Hi Soeren,

Thanks for bringing this to the list.

I've been working on putting together some possible
rough guidelines that we can use to evaluate changes
like this.  I'm not quite finished with that yet,
but it includes some of the ideas that Roland
mentioned, such as covering the relevant documentation
and man pages, updating other components that may
be affected by the change.  Some of the other things
would include watching out for possible ABI changes,
etc.  I'll circulate that to the list after I've
made a few more modifications.

With respect to this specific item, I think it would
be good to make sure the patch doesn't cause any
compatibility problems and that we update the affected
documentation.  I'll take a closer look at the patch,
and I'd encourage others to review the patch as well to
see if they have any concerns.  It sounds like Roland
has also volunteered to address a few of the items in his
list as well.

-paul