Was |int| always thought to be 32bit ?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Apr 25 08:35:13 PDT 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 09:43, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Egbert Eich wrote:
> > A bigger problem however arises from the careless interchange of int
> > and long in some parts of the code.
> > It makes the VSW4 test suite fail in some tests (one even ends up in
> > an endless loop) on 64bit BE platforms.
> > Since the problem exists in the server drawable structure a fix would
> > either break the internal server ABI or would require to hand cast
> > assignments all over the code :-(
>
> Since we're using dlloader in X11R7, and X11R7 is a major release of
> the X Window System, it would seem that now is the time to make as
> many major changes as possible, in particular those that change the
> ABI.

s/possible/necessary/.  I'd prefer we have actual bugs get fixed by ABI
changes, rather than just changing things because we can.  The issue Egbert
described is indeed a bug, I don't disagree with fixing it, just wanted to
clarify that word choice.

Also I would emphasize that dlloader is merely the default in 7.0.  You can
still use elfloader if you really want to.  The use of dlloader as the
default is not the justification for change in 7.0; the 7.0 number itself is.
I appreciate the interest in my pet project but I'd prefer to keep the
mysticism around it to a minimum.

Loader and module ABI are not (yet) synonymous.  Wait for 7.1 for that.

> MAXSCREENS is perhaps another one that could be fixed if it hasn't
> been checked into CVS already.

It hasn't.  It should though.

- ajax