Modularization proposal request for approval (fwd)

Paul Anderson pma at anderson.fc.hp.com
Mon Apr 4 14:08:46 PDT 2005

> For the past several months, the Modularization Working Group has been
> working on a proposal for how to split the monolithic source tree into
> logical modules.  We have discussed this proposal extensively on the
> mailing list, IRC, etc.  We would now like to present our proposal to
> the Architecture Working Group for approval.
>
> Here is the link to the proposal:
>
>     http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularizationProposal
>
> This proposal provides rationale for modularization, attempts to address
> the known concerns people have raised, provides background on other
> modularization efforts, explains what the modularized source tree would
> look like, outlines the steps required to take this idea from concept to
> release, and suggests how future modular releases can be handled.

Hello Architecture Working Group,

Please take a look at the proposal that the Modularization
Working Group has completed for splitting the monolithic
source tree into modules.  The Modularization Working Group
would like the Architecture Working Group to review the
proposal and approve it so they can begin work on the
development phase.  If you have not been following this work
closely, this is an excellent opportunity to review their
progress and provide feedback.  As Kevin has already noted
in the request, approval in this case signifies that the
Architecture Working Group is comfortable with the plan,
and that the Modularization Working Group can begin the
development phase.

I'd like the approval process for these types of proposals
to be fairly informal.  I'll propose that we have a discussion
period for people to read the proposal and share any comments
or raise objections.  If there are no strong objections at
the end of the discussion period, we can consider the proposal
approved.  If objections remain at the end of the discussion
period, we can extend the discussion period to resolve those
issues.

For this particular item, I'm proposing a discussion period
of seven days starting today and ending at the end of the
day on Monday, April 11.  That should give everyone enough
time (including a weekend) to review the detailed proposal,
think about it, and provide comments or concerns. Kevin - does
seven days sound like a reasonable amount of time?  I want to
allow enough time for people to review it and comment without
unnecessarily delaying the Modularization Working Group.

Best regards,

-paul