XDC 2018 feedback

Markus Ongyerth Ongyerth at igel.com
Mon Oct 1 15:06:13 UTC 2018

Hello,

first of all thanks for organizing the event. It's been really interesting and a pleasure to attend.

For me personally (and I got similar feedback from my colleagues) one of the main parts of XDC is personal interaction.

While the talks are interesting and point towards cool/new tools and features, meeting people from different companies,

working on the graphics stack was a quite nice experience and IMO provides more immediate value.

Partially because of that, I really enjoyed the additional time spent with everyone (Tuesday/Wednesday evening + Thursday in smaller groups) and think it's a really valuable addition to the pure conference on site.

For me, the only disappointment during the last week was to miss the i965 talks, because I attended a workshop session. Though I doubt that's avoidable without blowing the schedule up in unreasonable ways.

Hopefully more reasonable, I think the schedule (talks/workshops etc.) being available a bit earlier would be quite a bit better 😊

Even if not in any "binding" or complete form. At least or us, it would also help with planing with the company, since this was the first time we sent people to XDC

and I have to admit, I was a expecting a bit more talk about compositors or the X-server.

ongy

P.S. Drew said he's not subscribed to the list but he wrote a little blog entry, so I'll link it here: https://drewdevault.com/2018/09/30/Sway-wlroots-at-XDC-2018.html