Documentation?

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Thu Apr 9 10:21:31 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 12:46:57PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> That is downright strange.  Are you comparing the same application? or
> different applications?
>
> GTK may be doing something really stupid internally, that has nothing to
> do with fonts, but is related to the latency.  I've suspected as much at
> times....
>
> Please be so kind as to give us a concrete test case....

Mozilla, pidgin, gnome-terminal, emacs with GTK.  All of them I
occasionally use across an ssh tunnel and it's typically quite bad.
It's good across a LAN with latency in the few ms range, but gets bad
very quickly as latency increases - keypresses and redraws are
noticably sluggish.  xterm and emacs with Xt/Motif are all much
better, even across links with larger latency.

I seem to recall reading, years ago, a post or paper discussing
network performance issues in GTK and Qt, and pinning the issue on
too many round-trips.  Xt/Motif were nicer in this sense, and hence
their higher performance.

But none of that has much of anything to do with fonts.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie