Documentation?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 9 09:46:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 18:29 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:29 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > > Someday somehow I'll try to do some tests to check whether that's
> > > really true with a better optimized protocol, because right now
> > > everything that uses xft over a ssh tunnel is an horrible pain in the
> > > ass,
> >
> > I don't know what problem you are seeing.
> >
> > Over ssh in particular, with compression (-C), performance is much, much
> > better with client side fonts than it ever was with server side fonts.
>
> I'd hate to sound as trollish as some in this thread, but there I have
> to agree with Olivier: GTK2 apps are unusable over an "ssh -C -Y" tunnel
> whereas core-fonts apps are.
> I dunno exactly why, but I remember distinctly when client-side fonts
> were switchable in GTK, and the perf hit over ssh (over an ADSL link)
> was big.

That is downright strange.  Are you comparing the same application? or
different applications?

GTK may be doing something really stupid internally, that has nothing to
do with fonts, but is related to the latency.  I've suspected as much at
times....

Please be so kind as to give us a concrete test case....
                  Best regards,
			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>