Checking out and tracking drm/gem kernel modules

garrone pgarrone at
Sun Nov 16 02:42:34 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:02:22AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM, garrone <pgarrone at> wrote:
> >  In order to build the latest drm/gem kernel modules,
> >  according to the instructions at,
> >  the git repository at
> >  git:// drm-intel-next branch
> >  is used.
> >  When I attempted to clone the repository, similar to the rest of the
> >  X11 distribution, with the command
> >
> >  $ git clone git:// drm-intel
> >
> >  git wanted to download the best part of a gigabyte. So I set a "depth"
> >  argument of 2, (--depth 2) after clone, and it merely downloaded the
> >  source for the linux kernel. Fair enough, for once off.
> Bite the bullet. If you want to track kernel modules, you'll need to
> pull a kernel tree. You can keep trying to play games with --depth,
> but it will be much easier to just let git get the whole history.

Thank you. I am taking this advice.

> >  Apologies for this saga. Although there is much git documentation, git is
> >  not my preferred scm. Bearing in mind my aim is merely to port the 2.6.27
> >  code to suse 2.6.25, what is the simplest minimal-bandwidth way to setup
> >  and to track the linux drm kernel source.
> That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but why not just grab a 2.6.27
> tarball if that's what you want to do?

How would this achieve the outcome of setting up and tracking the drm source?
I found module compilation and installation not excessively difficult.
I am having initialization and synchronization problems, but this is
nothing new. Any comments on why backporting should not be attempted would be
most welcome.