Checking out and tracking drm/gem kernel modules

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 11:02:22 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM, garrone <pgarrone at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>  In order to build the latest drm/gem kernel modules,
>  according to the instructions at www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html,
>  the git repository at
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel drm-intel-next branch
>  is used.
>  When I attempted to clone the repository, similar to the rest of the
>  X11 distribution, with the command
>
>  $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel drm-intel
>
>  git wanted to download the best part of a gigabyte. So I set a "depth"
>  argument of 2, (--depth 2) after clone, and it merely downloaded the
>  source for the linux kernel. Fair enough, for once off.

Bite the bullet. If you want to track kernel modules, you'll need to
pull a kernel tree. You can keep trying to play games with --depth,
but it will be much easier to just let git get the whole history.

>  Apologies for this saga. Although there is much git documentation, git is
>  not my preferred scm. Bearing in mind my aim is merely to port the 2.6.27
>  code to suse 2.6.25, what is the simplest minimal-bandwidth way to setup
>  and to track the linux drm kernel source.

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but why not just grab a 2.6.27
tarball if that's what you want to do?

--
Dan