Evergreen success story!

Dave Witbrodt dawitbro at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 24 06:45:00 PST 2010

Dave Witbrodt wrote:
> Andrew Chant wrote:
>> I have a successful KMS (2.6.33-rc8 + drm-radeon-testing) + fbcon
>> Xorg running on a 5870.  HDMI & DVI outputs work great.
>
> Nice work.  I had a merged 'drm-radeon-testing'-to-2.6.33-rc8 kernel
> that was probably working about 10 days ago, but I was getting black
> screens because of a DVI-to-VGA adapter.  Mistakenly thinking that
> kernel was broken, I overreacted and deleted it (and the git branch I
> had made).
>
> Since then, I was using the 2.6.32 kernel in 'drm-radeon-testing'.  But
> tonight I merged 'drm-radeon-testing' against the new 2.6.32.9 and it's
> working fine, so I have my first successful git merge under my belt!  :)

Motivated by your success with merging drm-radeon-testing to 2.6.33-rc8,
I woke up early today and gave it another try.  Last time I tried, I was
a bit intimidated by some of the conflicts:  not knowing the code, I
thought it was likely I would make poor choices.  I looked at the code
more carefully this time, and some of the conflicts that looked really
confusing before actually were simple to resolve after all.

Now I also have 2.6.33-rc8 running with Evergreen DRM + KMS; I don't see
any errors or warnings at all if I run

     dmesg | egrep -i 'kms|drm|radeon|atom|ttm'

and everything seems to be running fine right now.

Dave W.