Hitting X limit in launching maximum number of vkcube instances

Anuj Phogat anuj.phogat at gmail.com
Fri May 5 21:27:59 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I've been trying to run the maximum number of instances of vkcube (Vulkan
application)
in Ubuntu 22.04. I'm hitting one of these X errors when I get past ~256
instances:
- "Maximum number of clients reached"
- "_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed"

I was able to get past these errors by adding below code in xorg conf file
passed to Xorg
using '-config' option:
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "MaxClients" "512"
EndSection

Now I'm not seeing X errors about the limit but X windows past the 256
limit don't render
anything. Do I need to adjust any other limits (other than MAXCLIENTS) to
make instances
past 256 limit render as expected ? I would appreciate any pointers to help
me debug and
resolve this issue.

Adding Adam and Olivier in Cc as I noticed a few old patches from them
around changing
MAXCLIENTS.

Thanks
Anuj