noob's question alert: argb visual not found

Amit Pundir pundiramit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:45:55 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud at mandriva.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the 32bits visual is not supported by OpenGL.
>
> I don't know how EGL interact with visuals, I'm more used to GLX.
> AFAIK not all visuals are compatibles with OpenGL, especially if you
> want to use ARGB with composite (+manager).
> In previous tests, only binary NVidia drivers were able to render
> correctly in a translucent ARGB window (i have to do tests with newer
> X.org KMS drivers ati, nouveau and intel drivers).
>
> Attached is a patch against an old glxgears which search for a visual
> matching : Composite ARGB + OpenGL ARGB32.
>
> BTW, could you add the output of glxinfo ?

My platform OMAP3 (ARM-cortex8 + PowerVR-SGX530 3D core) supports
OpenGL-ES 1.1/2.0 and GLX doesn't support OpenGLES as far as my
knowledge goes. My platform supports EGL (the interface between OpenGL
ES and X11) for that purpose.

"xdpyinfo" shows that and ARGB visual(32 planes) is present but my EGL
is not able to use that. It instead tries to use the visual with 24
planes. If I force it to use the ARGB visual then it crashes.

EGL and OpenGLES come as a binary support only and that is one limitation here.
I want to know whether I'm doing everything correct from X11 side to
create X11 ARGB window which is to be passed to EGL for an EGL window
creation. If I'm then I can go to PowerVR support and raise this
issue.

I forget to mention that I'm running "xcompmgr" as compositer.
Yann I also tried your benchimagemark tool
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-March/044498.html to
verify whether ARGB32 visual is present or not.

Thanks for your concern.

regards,
Amit Pundir