jhbuild (was Live builds (was: Merged proto package))

Jon TURNEY jon.turney at dronecode.org.uk
Mon Apr 26 10:05:57 PDT 2010

On 21/04/2010 17:33, David Gerard wrote:
> On 20 April 2010 23:44, Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:29:28PM +0100, David Gerard wrote:
>
> [ re: http://www.x.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions ]
>
>>> Yes, if you look at the page you'll see I grovelled through setting it
>>> up from scratch on several distros!
>>> (I even tried on Solaris 10, but it was so much pain I just gave up ...)
>
>> in that case - thanks for your efforts!
>> seriously, I'd love it if everyone did that. we hear (or used to hear,
>> anyway) a lot of complaints about complicated setup processes and lack of
>> documentation but never had the followups on the wiki to fix this. so I
>> quite appreciate it that you followed through and documented it for others.
>
> One thing it really shows is the pervasiveness of the assumption that
> the whole world is a Linux box. Of course, it isn't - so a helpful
> thing would be for those not using Linux to show how to build jhbuild
> for their OSes. Basically, I could only beat it into building on
> Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora ... couldn't manage it on FreeBSD, Solaris
> 10 or Cygwin.

I think you are somewhat making a rod for you own back by making this harder
than it needs to be.

There is no reason I can see not to do 'make Makefile.plain install' for
jhbuild if it can't configure:  All this omits is building the documentation,
which is nice to have, but is also at http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/

Suggesting that 'jhbuild bootstrap' needs to be run seems to me to be
unhelpful.  I'm not sure exactly what the point of this command is when
building GNOME, but there seems to be no point (in normal use when building
X.Org) in building the autotools toolchain from scratch when packages are
available, and on fringe platforms the release tarballs may not actually work
without patching :-). I'm pretty sure guile isn't used at all in building the
X.Org stack, so again, there's no point in building that.

I've also removed the suggestion that the libXmuu package needs to be
installed to build jhbuild xorg on cygwin.  I don't find this to be the case
and it doesn't make much sense.