jhbuild (was Live builds (was: Merged proto package))

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:33:35 PDT 2010

[ re: http://www.x.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions ]

>> Yes, if you look at the page you'll see I grovelled through setting it
>> up from scratch on several distros!
>> (I even tried on Solaris 10, but it was so much pain I just gave up ...)

> in that case - thanks for your efforts!
> seriously, I'd love it if everyone did that. we hear (or used to hear,
> anyway) a lot of complaints about complicated setup processes and lack of
> documentation but never had the followups on the wiki to fix this. so I
> quite appreciate it that you followed through and documented it for others.

One thing it really shows is the pervasiveness of the assumption that
the whole world is a Linux box. Of course, it isn't - so a helpful
thing would be for those not using Linux to show how to build jhbuild
for their OSes. Basically, I could only beat it into building on
Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora ... couldn't manage it on FreeBSD, Solaris
10 or Cygwin.

(And presumably a better jhbuild for Xorg will mean a better jhbuild
for GNOME on those platforms.)

- d.